Keep calm and craft - Days 3 and 4

Day 3 assignment is to take a photo in the same spot for a week.  I have decided location, being encouraged to stay home during the pandemic proved interesting, as I would normally chose the beach at end of my street. Stay tuned for end of 7 days.
Day 4 is to make a flower out of everyday materials: newspaper, packaging, wrapping paper etc. Here is the flower I created:
Now I can hear you say Margaret has made these before!  Yes, I have however this time there is a difference.  Let me tell you how I went about it:
First, I started with something completely different to make when I saw a flower made with book paper made by Cynthia Shaffer on Pinterest from 2011.
  • I selected papers from an old Mrs Beeton's Cookbook. And following instructions coated both sides of paper with Mod Podge, instructions said matt but I only had clear.  This made the paper feel leathery....I liked it!
  • The next step was to create Cynthia's flower.....a terrible result....straight into bin! No photos!  Now what!!  I still had the papers I created.
  • Taking out the scallop punch I punched out 7 shapes,  scrunched and then a formed into flower with addition of a brad through all the layers.
  • I loved very tactile quality of this treatment of the paper.  Almost like oilcloth but it was still able to be torn.
Above are pages after gloss Mod Podge put on both sides.  Look at the name of one of the recipes - Scrap-Cakes, selected quite by accident.  
Punching out the shapes. This photos show the Mod Podge applied - see the shiny bit.
I put a smaller version of the flower...only 2 punches, in my book together with using off cuts of paper to create a stem and leaves.

Thank you for looking, Margaret

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge