Kraft + Challenge

Here is mixed media layout I created this past few days for the September Kraft + challenge. Sorry, not sorry, this is a longish entry today.

The challenge was to be inspired by the work of Laura Horn - see below.  For the Kraft + challenges all projects must have a Kraft background. The Kraft must be the hearo of your background, not simply pattered paper mounted on Kraft.  Let the Kraft Shine! Check out some of the other simple rules on their website.

Now never having heard of Laura Horn, I went in search of her work on social media - and I found her website Laura Horn Art, well what an inspiration, I spent hours looking at her work.  I did a free class she has on her website called Abstract Collage Creations. This class provided me with the inspiration to create my layout - not a collage but a representation of many of the techniques she uses.  I also checked out her facebook and Instragram during my research - I am hooked and did and will try more!

Laura uses a lot of mark making in her work and I attempted some of her techniques - empty toilet role holds dipped in Jo Sonja's Paynes Grey, ear buds//tips dipped in the Grey, Lines which I drew with edge of paper near me and lots and lots of mark making.

About the photo I have used.  I took it in May 2013 during a drive around the Mt Annan Botanical Gardens - it was a surprise to see and I took a photo and it has been in my stash since then.  When I started thinking about what I was going to do for this layout - I found the photo again (I know I started the painting before I found a photo - I am sure you may have done the same at some stage) and decided to search Google to get information.  Well! the first thing I read it was slated for removal sometime after May 2021!  My first thought - let me get this photo onto a layout!   The Blue Tree was painted blue and it was to symbolise that even a dead tree still had beauty long after it had died! Ironic, now that they need to remove it as the branches were falling off.   I wonder if they will replace it with another tree on their site - as it was a drawcard for people visiting.
Here are two other tries I had before I decided on the blue - these were created in watercolours.  I will use these in coming days.  I will also have a go at using a white background as I am sure they will 'pop' more than on the Kraft background.

Thank you for looking, Margaret
As an aside, there is a Blue Tree project and from their website: "Our mission is to help spark difficult conversations and encourage people to speak up when battling mental health concerns. By spreading the paint and spreading the message that "it’s OK to not be OK", we can help break down the stigma that’s still largely attached to mental health."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge