Make it worth remembering

Here is a layout I have completed today for the April challenge over at ARTastic challenges

The challenge was to be inspired by this painting by Evelyn Chapman titled "French Ruins with Poppies". The criteria was Remembrance and to include the colour Red. The layout did not have to be Anzac themed. 
I know as soon as I saw the inspiration it reminded me of a photo I took on Anzac Day 2020.

First, let me tell you about the photo.  Australia was in lockdown due to Covid and therefore Anzac Day events were cancelled. No dawn services, no marches, nothing. People around the country held front garden sunrise services.  My 94 year old neighbour, Lorna, every year would donate to service clubs the Rosemary, from her garden, for patrons to wear - alas she could not do so in 2020.  She came to me and said what did I think of her putting Rosemary on the bricks at the front of our villas.  I said go for it - a great idea.  Later in the day, she came to me and said no-one is taking it, so I suggested she write a note and tape it next to the Rosemary.  Well, at the end of the day it was all gone. One very happy neighbour.

Little did she know that only 1 month later she would have a fall at home and end up in hospital, her recovery was slow and she decided that she needed to move closer to her family.  It was sad to see her go and I remember her fondly and know that she is happy in her new home and regaining her independence slowly, once again, now that Covid restrictions are lifting.

Poppies and Rosemary have long been associated with remembrance on Anzac Day.  So my layout pays respect to these as well as to Lorna. 

I firstly used Fired Brick, Candied Apple, Crackling Campfire and Brushed Corduroy Oxide Inks dabbed with plastic wrap through a Kaisercraft Brick stencil onto white cardstock in the middle.  I was  attempting to replicate the brick wall that the Rosemary was resting on.  I handmade the poppies following instructions I found by Julianna Kunstler, and I have emailed her to thank her for her inspiration and clear instructions.  The title came from a Kaisercraft sheet in my stash. 

Thank you for looking, Margaret



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge