Scrappy Christmas cards

So what do you do when it is 4am and you wake and remain wide awake?  Of course, Pinterest browsing.   I found Sew Me Something Good blog and there were posts about making cards using fabric scraps and so much more . I have left some thanks for the inspiration. This got my thinking cap on.  Here are a selection of cards I made this morning.

For the past year I have been involved in cutting out donated fabric into fat quarters, fat eights for a local op shop. These cards have been made with the scraps of just a small selection of those fabrics - I chose to select Christmas colours.  

The construction is very simple:
  • Take a piece of cardstock (cs) and cut it to size you want - I used 9.5cm x 13.8cm.  However, you could cut as squares, rectangles  etc.
  • Cut or tear fabric scraps into any width.  I tore my fabric and left the raw edges to show.
  • Sew onto the cs leaving some fabric hanging from cs.( I lengthened my stitch so it was easier to sew).  Don't worry about perfection it all adds to the charm.  You can sew horizontally, vertically or on the diagonal.
  • Trim hanging bits of fabric to the size of the cs. See below for before and after.

 
  • Sew around the edge of the this cut piece as it will hold in all the strips.
  • I attached sequins, brads, stars cut out from star fabric, star tag at this stage. You could use any embellishments you want - buttons, sparkly ribbon, ribbon, the list is endless. 
  • Attach to card base - add a greeting inside - done.
Here are close ups of some of the cards I created.
I love the bright modern take on these.
This one was not donated - I gave it to a friend this morning.  I dropped the other 6 off to the op shop this morning.  If they are successfully sold I will make some more - maybe for birthdays, thank you, thinking of  you etc.  I have much more fabric!
Thank you for looking, Margaret
Happiness is handmade.


Comments

Katherine said…
Yay! So excited to your fabric scrap cards, Margaret! They are fabulous and so festive with the fabrics you chose and the embellishments you added. Thank you so much for sharing these beauties!

Feels so good to see those pretty bits turned into something unique and purposeful. Bet you'll soon be making more! ;o)

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge