Even little scraps have a place.

Making the scrap fabric cards the other day, really got my fabric on..... here are some mini projects I made last night and this morning.

I started knitting and needlework from an early age. For many years I was a patchwork and embroidery teacher, also completing several commission works and selling at markets.  The call of new car and a holiday beckoned me back to the corporate world.  After 10 years I left to care for my father, teach English overseas and become a lover of papercraft and mixed media.
Recently my friend was given a card for her birthday by her aunt (I cannot post that image here) that was embellished with a small, 2" or thereabouts, of stitching.   This got my fingers itching to do some embroidery again.   So, off to the internet I went.  I found references to 'slow stitching', sashiko, and boro stitching that inspired me to get out the needles, embroidery threads, scraps of fabric, lace, beads, etc and get started. The following descriptions come from various sources on the net.
  • Slow stitching isn't to be perfect, or even to make a cohesive final piece (although many pieces are beautiful pieces of textile art).  The intention is to enjoy the process one stitch at a time, to relax, and not to stress about all the things were might worry about if we were trying to make a perfect quilt or sewing project.
  • Sashiko is a form of Japanese folk embroidery using a variation of a running stitch to create a patterned background.  Can be straight or curved.
  • Boro stitching is essentially the practice of using a simple running stitch (a sashiko stitch) to reinforce a textile item using spare or would-be-discarded scraps of fabric.  It is a practice that grew out of necessity in medieval Japan, and has evolved, four centuries later, into a distinctively gorgeous textile artform.
The first one I created last night was this one, that could be adhered to a card for a special person:
I found the ribbon with all the words on in my stash.  I suppose 'hope' was a good word as I had no idea how it would turn out!  This piece is about 4" square and I stitched direct on a piece of offcut thin quilt batting I had.  I used this on all of the pieces.  It did not take very long to finish this small piece.
Then, this morning happy by last nights effort I created another 4" piece again that could be adhered to a card.

I then bravely completed a 2" square.  This one I backed with a contrast fabric so that it could be used as a brooch.

I love them! They're not perfect but I had fun enjoying the process.  

Thank you for looking, Margaret

Updated 14th December - I made a couple of more yesterday - could say I am 'stitched in' to these little projects. Left is approx. 2" square and right is approx. 1.5" square and I will make it into a brooch.

Happiness is handmade.

Comments

Katherine said…
OH, these are so beautiful, Margaret! It always makes me happy to see precious bits like these buttons and trims repurposed. I whole heartedly agree that happiness is handmade!

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge