The Blue Whale - a Route 66 icon

I have finally finished my 2011 USA holiday scrapbooking. Today, I am sharing with you The Blue Whale at Catoosa, Oklahoma - an iconic Route 66 stop.
Built in the early 1970's as a surprise anniversary gift for a wife who collected whale figurines. The Blue Whale and its pond became a favoured swimming hole for both locals and travellers along Route 66 alike. For several days our tour guide had promised us a something unique and as he said you could just picture kids pleading with their parents to stop for a rest and swim along their way. It was closed to the public in 1988 and had fallen into disrepair. It has been restored by the people of Catoosa and is a popular stop again. But be aware do not stop for a swim the pond is full of algae!
I have hand drawn my blue whale - sorry about the glare on the photo but yesterday was a 'scorcher' here in Sydney and I just could not could not stop the sun to take a photo - and this was without the flash!!! And I just realised we were all wearing blue!! A fun stop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge