5000 Poppies Project

Have you heard about the 5000 Poppies project - A community project of respect and remembrance. You can read all about it on their website here .   And I quote from there:

"From its association with poppies flowering in the spring of 1915 on the battlefields of Belgium, France and Gallipoli, the poppy has become a symbol of both great loss in war and hope for those left behind.
As part of the 2015 Anzac Commemoration, the 5000 Poppies project will be “planting” a field of more than 25000 (probably more like around 50,000) poppies in Fed Square Melbourne as a stunning visual tribute to Australian servicemen and women for more than a century of service in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations."

I heard about it from a friend who crocheted some poppies, and so I got out my knitting needles and knitted some.  I sent them off today and I am pleased that they will be part of the display. One other was sent with those from another group that also made poppies.

My grandmother had a brother who was with 1st Infantry Batt. of A.I.E.F. that left for Cairo, Egypt 18th October, 1914 after doing basic training in Kensington, NSW for 2 months prior to leaving. I have done a bit of research on him as I was gifted a box of family memories including a photograph album.

Interested?  Want to help yourself?  You can get patterns on their website.  Knitted, felted, crocheted, the options are many.

Lest we forget.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge