Monday, September 22, 2014

5000 Poppies Project

Have you heard about the 5000 Poppies project - A community project of respect and remembrance. You can read all about it on their website here .   And I quote from there:

"From its association with poppies flowering in the spring of 1915 on the battlefields of Belgium, France and Gallipoli, the poppy has become a symbol of both great loss in war and hope for those left behind.
As part of the 2015 Anzac Commemoration, the 5000 Poppies project will be “planting” a field of more than 25000 (probably more like around 50,000) poppies in Fed Square Melbourne as a stunning visual tribute to Australian servicemen and women for more than a century of service in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations."

I heard about it from a friend who crocheted some poppies, and so I got out my knitting needles and knitted some.  I sent them off today and I am pleased that they will be part of the display. One other was sent with those from another group that also made poppies.

My grandmother had a brother who was with 1st Infantry Batt. of A.I.E.F. that left for Cairo, Egypt 18th October, 1914 after doing basic training in Kensington, NSW for 2 months prior to leaving. I have done a bit of research on him as I was gifted a box of family memories including a photograph album.

Interested?  Want to help yourself?  You can get patterns on their website.  Knitted, felted, crocheted, the options are many.

Lest we forget.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin