Grandmothers Flower Garden card

Many years ago - too many years ago to mention here - I attended my first patchwork class and the first block that I made was Grandmothers Flower Garden.  The pattern was used by Persian and Indian quilters for centuries before the Crusaders took it by to Europe - now I don't go back as far as the Crusades just in case you were wondering!!
I became enthralled with patchwork after this first lesson and many years later I became a patchwork teacher and the first block I would teach, of course, was Grandmothers Flower Garden. Students would start off by creating their own hexagons with a compass.  Years later there became available templates you could buy already in the shape of hexagons. Example of a quilt using hexagons.  You can just imagine Grandmother walking  the green path around the flower beds or maybe my maternal grandmother walking the strawberry patch eating the strawberries on her way around the garden.
Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt
http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/colonial_revival/flower_garden.htm
Today, I made this card using Stampin' Up! (r) hexagon punch - so much easier than drawing your own shapes.  I have used Epic Day This and That Designer Series Paper from Stampin' Up! and the Honeycomb embossing folder.
Grandmothers Flower Garden card
My class on Friday will be making this card and I know some of the ladies are patchworkers so I hope they enjoy making the card as much as I had fun creating it.   Margaret

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge